Hamiota Municipality is accepting applications for the full-time permanent position Chief Administrative Officer.
Hamiota Municipality is a growing community and is located in western Manitoba, midway between the Trans Canada Highway and the Yellowhead Highway. The community’s lifestyle, diverse job opportunities and support services make Hamiota one of the most vibrant communities in Western Manitoba.
The Hamiota Municipality has a population of 1,288 and a trading area radius of 40 kilometres. Within this trading area, there are approximately 10,000 people. Hamiota has seen continued growth for over 25 years.
The agriculture, healthcare and education sectors are the major employers within the area. Within the last four years, the region has seen significant growth in the agriculture sector. Hundreds of jobs have been maintained in Hamiota and area with many of these in the expanding livestock sector.
Hamiota’s unique community health care system is well known nationally as well as internationally and is often cited for its innovativeness as a successful healthcare delivery model.
The community also demonstrates a unique balance between recreation and cultural/arts activities. Hamiota has many varied and newly developed recreational facilities with associated programming. After healthcare, Hamiota is recognized for its support of sports programming within the community. The community also offers arts/cultural opportunities through the Heritage Arts Centre.
The educational system in Hamiota has continually remained significantly above provincial averages in Provincial Exams and provides an integrated academic, recreational and musical curriculum.
Hamiota’s retail and service sectors are diverse and provide a full range of services for residents and surrounding area. The retail trade radius expands as far as 65 kilometers.
Hamiota is recognized for its diversity and capabilities, and remains in the forefront of Western Manitoba communities.
Under the direction of Council, the CAO is responsible for the overall management of municipal operations including: administration, supervision of staff, Senior Election Official duties, providing updates and recommendations to Council and executing plans and programs in accordance with Council’s guidelines and relevant policies.
Hamiota is an innovative community with excellent educational, medical, professional, recreational, and commercial services.
· Graduate of the Manitoba Certificate Program for Municipal Administration preferred
· 3-5 years of direct experience in municipal administration as a Municipal Administrator or Senior Manager
· Strong computer skills, knowledge of Muniware considered an asset
· Ability to communicate effectively with the public, employees as well as external stakeholders
· In-depth knowledge of municipal operations, administration, financials including PSAB requirements
· Knowledge of Municipal and other Provincial/Federal Legislation
Salary & Compensation:
· Salary is dependent upon qualifications and experience (Range: $62,001 – $120,828)
· An attractive benefit package is also provided
Conditions of Employment:
· Must pass a criminal records check, child abuse and prior check
The CAO is the administrative head of the municipality and is responsible for overall administration including:
· Meetings of Council – preparing and organizing all meeting and public hearing agendas; recording the minutes of all municipal regular meetings, special meetings and public hearings; and providing council with sound advice on all aspects of municipal governance and legislative requirements.
· By-laws – ensuring all required by-laws and resolutions are in-place and up-to-date; preparing resolutions and by-laws for the municipality, including the by-laws that require Ministerial, Public Utility Board, or Municipal Board approval (i.e. borrowing by-laws, local improvement and special service levy by-laws; public utility rate by-laws); ensuring the municipality’s procedural and organizational by-laws are in place and up-to-date.
· The CAO is responsible for administration, financial management, and human resource management.
· Implementing council priorities – ensuring the policies, programs and services of the municipality are implemented; monitoring, evaluating and reporting back to council on the policies, programs and services of the municipality; and answering all public requests, inquiries and / or complaints, and ensuring a high standard of customer service.
Sound financial management is critical to the successful operation of the municipality. The duties of the CAO in this regard are far reaching, including:
· Preparing the annual financial plan – presenting options for the annual financial plan for council’s consideration, including the general operating budget, the capital budget, and the five-year capital expenditure plan.
· Monitoring the financial plan – reviewing the monthly/annual financial statements, and cash flow projections as required.
· Controlling – oversight of and capability to perform the day-to-day accounting of the corporation (i.e. the accounts payable, accounts receivable, tax collections, payroll, monthly bank reconciliations and investments). This also includes ensuring that accurate records and books are kept of all of the financial affairs of the municipality, and making adjustments, as required, to the municipality’s financial plan.
· Reporting – providing council with up-to-date financial information on a regular and timely basis, ensuring that exceptions and issues are clearly identified, providing the Province with financial information and reports as required by legislation, working with the auditors when they are conducting the annual financial audit of the municipality and providing financial information to the public as required.
· Taxation process – administering the entire taxation process, including the annual Board of Revision hearing, collection of taxes and management of overdue accounts, and the sale of properties in arrears of taxes through the tax sale process.
Human Resource Management:
The CAO is responsible for the management and supervision of the employees of the municipality. Specific duties include:
· Recruitment and development of employees – including hiring, training, evaluating, promoting and dismissing employees.
Additional CAO Duties:
· Oversight of any municipal programs and services.
· Project Implementation and oversight.
· Other duties as assigned by council.
Timeline: Position available immediately, posting will remain open until filled.
Hamiota wishes to thank all candidates for their interest in this position, however, only those individuals considered for an interview will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and consider all qualified applicants equally without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability status.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $62,001.00-$120,828.00 per year