The City of Morden invites applications for the position of Public Works Supervisor. This is a full-time position with a requirement to work on-call and after regular hours, as necessary.
Public Works Supervisor plans for, schedules and ensures safe operations and equipment for all Public Works infrastructure (streets, roads, sidewalks, signage); leads team, invites quotes and oversees contractors.
This position will be required to:
• Assess condition of and participate with planning for maintenance and replacement of City of Morden infrastructure
• Oversee work projects and everyday operations of department
• Plan, schedule and supervise road repair and maintenance, street sweeping
• Plan for and supervise snow removal and sanding operations
• Supervise solid waste collection and disposal; manage operation of compost yard and landfill site
• Supervise operation of City fleet and workshop
• Obtain and evaluate quotes for procuring equipment, materials and works
• Prepare reports as required i.e. monthly progress reports
• Verify/approve invoices within assigned authority
• Train, supervise and motivate staff effectively
• Ensure all operations are carried out safely and compliant with Workplace Safety and Health regulations
• Maintain computerized work records
• Respond to public complaints and communicate well with the general public
• Work co-operatively with and assist other City Departments
The preferred candidate will have the following qualifications:
• Five years of experience in supervising a work crew, preferably in municipal public works
• Excellent working knowledge of heavy equipment operation
• Knowledgeable in repair and maintenance of equipment and vehicles
• Knowledgeable of the Workplace Safety and Health Act
• Proficient in computer data entry
• A valid Class 5 Manitoba driver’s license; Class 3A is preferred
• Grade 12 or equivalent education
• Enjoy working both independently and motivating a diverse team
• Proficient in English terminology (oral and written)
• Legally eligible to work in Canada
The successful candidate will have demonstrated a high level of initiative and enthusiasm in their approach toward fulfilling responsibilities in previous roles.
The City of Morden offers a comprehensive salary and benefits package.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a detailed resume complete with three references by sending applications to the email, fax number or mailing address noted below.
We thank all for applying but advise that only those considered for an interview will be contacted. A condition of employment is agreement by the applicant to disclose criminal record information to the City of Morden.