Job Type: Full-time Permanent
Closing Date: The posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is located.
Compensation: The right candidate can expect a salary and benefits package reflective of their experience and credentials.
The Municipal Engineer is responsible for assisting the Director of Infrastructure in the delivery of the Capital and Maintenance Infrastructure Program and development-related reviews. The Municipal Engineer performs engineering activities from planning through preliminary design, detailed design, and construction; provides specialized engineering advice & technical guidance; reviews and approves private development plans, coordinates and updates the RM’s Capital projects and municipal infrastructure plans, provides project management for the construction/maintenance of municipal projects and is responsible for contract administration and engineering activities of multiple major and minor projects, including management of staff and resources. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring compliance with all legislation, regulations, and RM policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Reviews and approves private development plans.
• Designing and/or approving the construction of municipal infrastructure works including, but not limited to, streets, bridges, drainage, water, and sewer pipeline installation.
• Preparing/developing engineering plans and specifications.
• Oversees Contract Administration in the delivery of construction projects. Reviews and monitors contract quantities and project expenditures within authorized budgets, ensuring projects are constructed according to the design and contract specifications.
• Monitors assigned project program expenditures within authorized budgets, including preparing summary reports for the Director of Infrastructure review, and prepares and reports contract and program over-expenditures to the Director of Infrastructure
• Manages contracts with Engineering Service Providers, including the preparation of Request for Quotes (RFQ) and Request for Proposals (RFP) and the development of project terms of reference.
• Coordinates/meets with stakeholders (provincial, federal, and municipal, landowners, utilities, and the general public) to resolve project-related issues.
• Develops options to resolve issues and makes recommendations to support decision-making, including attending project meetings to discuss project progress and to address project concerns.
• Identifies potential projects for inclusion in the Municipality’s Capital Program
• Affixes engineering seal to own work and work prepared by other Engineers and/or non-engineering staff (upon review) as required.
• Updating and maintaining an asset management system.
• Ensure compliance with Workers’ Compensation Legislation, Human Rights Legislation, safety regulations, safe work practices, and RM policies and procedures.
• Adheres to Acts, Regulations, Code of Ethics, and By-Laws governing Engineers.
• Adheres to the Municipality’s engineering policies and standards in the delivery of programs.
• Uses engineering judgement within the scope of practice in the application of municipal standards, specifications, and guidelines
• Provide technical and engineering expertise to stakeholders, and resolve issues in accordance with legislation, policies, and procedures.
• Determines appropriate methodologies for investigating issues.
• Keeps current with advancing technological changes.
• Supervise the work of direct reports/employees by:
➢ Establishing work priorities and schedules,
➢ Directing and monitoring work performance,
➢ Reviewing and approving timesheets, including the approval of overtime work/emergency response,
➢ Providing training and supervision,
➢ Ensuring adherence to Workplace Safety & Health Standards and operational procedures and processes.
Credentials and Experience:
• Graduation from a four-year college or university with a degree in civil engineering.
• Registration as a Professional Engineer in Manitoba (a member in good standing with Engineers Geoscientists of Manitoba)
• Minimum of five (5) years previous professional civil engineering experience; municipal work environment experience considered an asset; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Must possess a valid Class 5 Manitoba driver’s license
• Must provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check
Core Skills Knowledge and Abilities:
• Undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering (or equivalent). Registered or eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of the Province of Manitoba (APEGM).
• Directly related experience with roadway construction, including surveying, design and contract preparation, and construction supervision of grading, base course, bituminous paving, asphalt surface treatment, and both rural and urban (curb and gutter) construction and reconstruction.
• Experience in financial tracking, reporting, and expenditure control as it relates to project and program management.
• Strong interpersonal skills to communicate effectively and courteously with other employees, the public, contractors, provincial departments, agencies and stakeholders, etc.
• Strong organizational, leadership, and decision-making skills.
• Experience with human resource practices (i.e. training and development, coaching, labour relations, mentoring, conflict resolution, understanding of the collective agreement, etc.)
• Knowledge of the Municipality’s policies, construction specifications, procedures, and guidelines.
• Knowledge of applicable Acts and Regulations
• Typically works in an office environment with onsite fieldwork.
• While at outdoor work sites, exposure to construction equipment, roadway traffic, noise, dust, hand/power tools, moving equipment, slip-trip-fall, carrying/twisting, insects, and vegetation & sharp objects.
• Working outdoors in both winter and summer in extreme temperatures.
• Working with people who may become upset and verbally abusive.
Submit resume and cover letter in confidence:
Attention: Carli Maxim
R.M. of East St. Paul,
Unit #1 – 3021 Bird’s Hill Road, East St. Paul, Mb.
For more information, please contact; Carli Maxim Human Resources Specialist,
Rural Municipality of East St. Paul
The R.M of East St. Paul wishes to thank all candidates for their interest in this position, however, only those individuals considered for an interview will be contacted.
As mentioned above.
Application Deadline: Open until filled