Under the general supervision of the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Assistant Chief Administrative Officer (ACAO) is responsible for; maintaining/updating RM by-laws and policies, supporting effective communications with residents, supporting the CAO in the preparation/management of Council meetings, overseeing new projects/initiatives, retaining a working knowledge of RM’s financial systems/processes, managing the RM’s Wheelchair Services of Manitoba program, managing the performance of direct reports, providing general support to the CAO and assuming the duties of the CAO as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Maintains and updates RM by-laws, policies and other communication by;
o Ensuring all required by-laws and resolutions are current, and readily available for Council, Administrative and or public review,
o Preparing Administrative Reports as directed for items such as; funding requests, Council conference attendance, tax arrears/tax sales,
o Drafting resolutions of Council and following up to ensure action on all authorized items,
o Typing, preparing for signature, affixing seal and filing minutes of Council and Committee meetings from information provided by CAO,
o Maintaining a file of all books of by-laws adopted by Council,
o Ensuring the creation of an efficient electronic database and hardcopy filing system for by-laws and policies,
o Researching best practice and drafting municipal by-laws and policies,
o Recommending updates to by-laws and policies as required,
o Attaining and maintaining a full knowledge of all current RM by-laws and policies,
o Drafting, in a clear, consise and thorough manner, new and revised by-laws, policies and associated Administrative Reports for CAO/Council approval.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong writing skills with superior composition and editing abilities.
• Ability to research and formulate consise accurate reports and other documents.
• Ability to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives with minimal supervision.
• Ability to effectively manage projects and new initiatives.
• Knowledge of accounting and finance procedures.
• Working knowledge in basic payroll and benefits administration.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and exposure to, or ability to learn additional software packages.
• Strong interpersonal skills to effectively and respectfully manage concerns related to the public, employees and other stakeholders.
• Ability to coordinate, organize, problem solve, and work with a high level of independence.
• Knowledge of the Municipal Act considered an asset.
Credentials and Experience:
• Post-secondary education in Public Relations and Communications or a related field.
• Certificate in Manitoba Municipal Administration (CMMA), or willingness to attain within 5 years
• Experience in public communications (3 years minimum), experience in policy writing considered an asset.
• Experience supervising others (2 years minimum).
• Certificate in the Manitoba Municipal Administration (CMMA) considered an asset.
• Experience in municipal government considered an asset.
• Valid Class 5 driver’s license.
• Satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
Screening for this position may begin as early as April 25, 2019. However the posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.
The R.M of East St. Paul wishes to thank all candidates for their interest in this position, however, only those individuals considered for an interview will be contacted.
Submit resume and cover letter in confidence;
By mail or in person in a sealed envelope marked APPLICATION – ASSISTANT CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER,
Attention Rhonda Tone
R.M. of East St. Paul
Unit #1 – 3021 Bird’s Hill Road
East St. Paul, Mb. R2E 1A7
Tel: (204) 594-4403
Application Deadline: Open until filled