Employment Opportunity – Utility Operator In-Training
Reporting to the Transportation and Utility Manager, the key areas of responsibility will include implementing the assignments as directed by the Transportation and Utility Manager. This position is a unionized position with The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local Union 2034 at the hourly wage of $32.19 (Rates for 2021 are in negotiation with the Union).
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Operation and maintenance of the water & sewage treatment plants, wastewater lift stations, sewer collection systems, water main infrastructure, water meter readings and water main shut off installation as required.
- Operates trucks of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, materials and supplies.
- Operates trucks and construction equipment, as well as labor required in the maintenance of hauling materials ditching, culvert maintenance, storm drain maintenance, water break excavations.
- Operates saws and other small equipment and tools to maintain to maintain utility facilities, aqua-flo units, water meters and other public property.
- Performs routine inspection and preventive maintenance on assigned equipment and refers defects or needed repairs to supervisor and cleans equipment including general maintenance of utility facilities.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
- Responds to emergency call-outs when required.
- Determines the location of gas, telephone, power, television, water and sewer lines from the appropriate sources prior to excavation.
- Reporting of water/sewage treatment results, council and administration reports.
- Performs other duties with the Public Works and Recreation departments as needed.
- Flexibility in schedule – Weekends will be worked in schedule with Utility Operator II
- Other Duties as assigned by the Chief Administrative Officer and Transportation & Utility Manager.
Experience & Qualifications:
- A minimum completion of Grade 12.
- A minimum 1 year of relevant experience preferred.
- Basic ability with Email, MS Word and MS Excel.
- Possession of a valid Class 5 and willing to obtain Class 3A Manitoba Drivers License.
- Having Level 2 Certification in Water & WasteWater Treatment and Distribution or willing to obtain.
- Suitable combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Should have knowledge of applicable Workplace Health & Safety (WHMIS).
Please submit a cover letter and resume including three references by April 16, 2021 @ 4:00 p.m. to CAO by mail, email or fax.