The RM of Whitehead invites applications for the position of Public Works Lead Hand.
The Public Works Lead Hand is a working, hands-on, operator position reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO). The Lead Hand is responsible to coordinate, monitor and assist with all of the operations of the Public Works Department including road maintenance, drainage, equipment repairs and maintenance as well as waste disposal grounds operations, ensuring that safety procedures are followed, and all roads and municipal infrastructure are maintained in a timely and efficient manner.
The Lead Hand is also expected to operate a grader, tractor, backhoe, skid steer and all municipal equipment on a regular basis as a working operator. The successful candidate will possess sound judgement, be able to work with minimal supervision and be able to multi-task and handle changing priorities and peak work periods, effectively managing time and tasks.
In addition, duties and responsibilities will include:
• Assigning daily duties and tasks to Public Works employees, coordinate and participate in the work and keep written records of work performed to maximize productivity and quality of work
• Routinely operates equipment and ensures regular equipment checks, maintenance and repairs are performed
• Coordinate the work of contractors and tradespeople when needed
• Complete necessary reports required by legislation or municipal policies and keeps accurate public records
• Ensure roadways are accessible, safe and in good driving condition through proper inspections and maintenance including grading and snow removal
• With the CAO and fellow employees, develop and implement short term and long term plans and plans for maintenance of municipal roadways, drainage infrastructure, waste disposal grounds and equipment
• Continually monitor, evaluate and assess operations in order to direct change and provide the most efficient operation
• Perform other duties as they arise regarding municipal services and obligations including being available for after hours and emergency calls and situations
• Sound knowledge and experience in daily operations of a Municipal Public Works department
• Is proficient in the operation of a grader and various other equipment including tractors, backhoe and skid steer
• Experience and knowledge in road construction and repair and drainage systems
• Previous managerial or supervisory experience
• Familiar with Workplace Safety & Health regulations, The Environment Act and other pertinent legislation and statutes
• Ability to work independently under minimal supervision and also effectively in a small team environment
• Ability to plan, direct and coordinate the day to day operations to ensure efficient operation of department
• Familiarity with MS Office Computer Software such as Word, Excel and Outlook
• Experience working with capital and operating budgets, and ability to monitor and control spending within an approved budget
• A valid Manitoba Drivers License
• Perform work on site as required with ability to work overtime, evenings and weekends as needed
This is a full-time position. Expected start date is ASAP. Wage to be commensurate with experience and education. The RM offers a comprehensive benefits package. Position will stay open until filled.
Resumes including 3 references can be sent to the post mail, email or fax number listed below.
We thank all applicants who apply for this position but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.