Under the direction of the CAO, the Municipal Engineer; reviews and approves private development plans, coordinates/updates the RM’s Capital projects and municipal infrastructure plans, provides project management for the construction/maintenance of the municipal projects, represents the RM in areas specific to engineering expertise, performs other associated duties as assigned.
Expiry Date: Submissions will be reviewed as early as September 07, 2020, however the posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is located.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supervise the work of direct reports/employees by;
o Establishing work priorities and schedules,
o Directing and monitoring work performance,
o Reviewing and approving time sheets; including the approval of overtime work/emergency response,
o Providing training and supervision,
o Ensuring adherence to Workplace Safety & Health Standards and operational procedures and processes.
Credentials and Experience:
• Graduation from a four year college or university with a degree in civil engineering.
• Registration as a Professional Engineer in Manitoba (a member in good standing with Engineers Geoscientists of Manitoba)
• Minimum of five years previous professional civil engineering experience; municipal work environment experience considered an asset; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Must possess a valid Class 5 Manitoba driver’s license
• Must provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check
Core Skills Knowledge and Abilities:
• Thorough knowledge of civil engineering principles, practices and methods as applicable to a municipal setting
• Familiarity with materials and methods as applied to construction of municipal structures and projects as well as a general understanding of physical sciences; mathematics; hydraulics; municipal engineering and surveying.
• Extensive experience creating cost estimates for complex projects.
• A working knowledge of the Microsoft suite of products (Word, Outlook and Excel).
• A working knowledge of infrastructure modelling and the ability to utilize computer-aided-design drafting software; standard drafting tools; surveying equipment including level, transit, total station, GPS, etc.; motor vehicle; phone; mobile radio. (AutoCAD, GIS or similar)
• Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, including the ability to conduct necessary engineering research and compile comprehensive reports
• Must be physically capable of moving about on construction work sites and under adverse field (outdoor) conditions.
• Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with employees, external contacts, stakeholders, and the public in accordance with the RM’s Respectful Workplace, Harassment Free Work Environment Policy.
• Thorough knowledge of applicable RM policies, laws, and regulations affecting RM activities within 1-year of hire.
• Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate drafting instruments, computers and various pieces of office equipment.
• The ability to stand, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, walk, use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms; talk and hear.
• Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities including; close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Submit resume and cover letter in confidence;
By mail or in person in a sealed envelope marked:
APPLICATION – MUNICIPAL ENGINEER POSITION
Attention Rhonda Tone
RM of East St. Paul
Unit #1 – 3021 Bird’s Hill Road
East St. Paul, MB R2E 1A7
OR to the email address listed below:
Application Deadline: Open until filled