The incumbent shall have previous urban and/or rural land use planning related experience combined, ideally in a supervisory capacity, combined with a diploma or degree specializing in urban and/or regional planning of related education. A combination of other education and experience may be considered. Also, a full membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners and/or Registered Professional Planner in Manitoba (or be eligible to obtain); and a valid Class 5 Manitoba Driver’s License.
As a hands-on manager with superior interpersonal skills, you also understand the need to effectively deal with the general public, staff and the KPD Board of Directors.
Using your strong analytical and problem solving skills with all staff, customers, Municipal, Provincial and Federal authorities, in addition to auditing all permit applications for accuracy, compliance with legislation, policies, procedures and restrictions, and ensuring all applications comply with development plans, zoning by-laws, the Municipal Act, the Planning Act and any other appropriate Acts and Regulations, you will significantly assist the KPD Board to meet their legislative mandate.
KEYSTONE PLANNING DISTRICT
POSITION TITLE: General Manager
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
1. To be responsible for the overall planning, operation, finances, control and administration of the organization in accordance with approved KPD policy, bylaws or resolutions.
2. To supervise and evaluate all employees of the KPD.
3. To act as a liaison between the general public, respective KPD member Councils and Provincial Government on behalf of KPD and provide advice and recommendations to the Board on all matters.
4. To prepare the KPD annual budget for review and approval of the KPD Board along with financial verification, monitoring and accountability for all KPD transactions.
5. To ensure all payments and purchasing is in accordance with Board policy.
6. To prepare all Board agendas in consultation with the Chairperson and submit a monthly activity report to the Board.
7. To provide leadership, management and administration of the KPD office functions as they pertain to the Implementation and amendments of KPD Development Plan, Municipal Zoning By-Laws, Secondary Plans and Fringe Area Plans.
8. To oversee and prepare reports where required, for all KPD planning functions pertaining to: the development process, including all development and secondary plans, the rendering of decisions on complex Development Permit applications, amendments to plans and land use bylaws, legal matters pertaining to land use bylaw enforcement, stop work orders, and public or in-camera presentations to Councils, boards and commissions related to the approval and appeal processes.
9. To act as the Development Officer for all member municipalities, administer all zoning bylaws and provide the overall direction for land use planning and land development for the KPD.
10. To adhere to all legislative and legal requirements and duties as prescribed under the Planning Act of Manitoba and all other relevant Acts.
11. Other duties as may be assigned by the Board from time to time.
Experience & Qualifications
The incumbent shall have previous urban and/or rural land use planning related experience combined, ideally in a supervisory capacity, combined with a diploma or degree specializing in urban and/or regional planning of related education. A combination of other education and experience may be considered.
As well, the incumbent shall have:
1. A high level of knowledge and understanding of the Manitoba Planning and Municipal Acts along with a knowledge of the law and legal procedures available to enforce relevant provincial acts and regulations and municipal bylaws;
2. Previous staff supervisory experience;
3. Strong writing, presentation, negotiation and organizational skills;
4. Superior Interpersonal skills in dealing effectively with the general public on sensitive matters and good analytical and problem solving skills,
5. Well-developed computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook;
6. Full membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners and/or Registered Professional Planner in Manitoba (or be eligible to obtain); and a
7. Valid Class 5 Manitoba Driver’s License.
Under the direction of and reporting to the Board of Directors, the Manager will ensure effective communications with all staff, customers, Municipal, Provincial and Federal authorities in addition to auditing all permit applications for accuracy, compliance with legislation, policies, procedures and restrictions, and ensuring all applications comply with development plans, zoning by-laws, Municipal Act, Planning Act and any other appropriate Acts and Regulations.
The position has authority to proceed to the written warning stage of the progressive discipline system for all employees.
Tact and discretion are required to deal with or settle requests, complaints or clarification.
Unique Position Requirements
1. Required to attend all Board meetings and member Council meetings which may involve evening meetings.
2. Will act as the Development Officer for RM’s of Cornwallis and Elton.
3. Highly developed communication skills and political sensitivity, combined with the ability to summarize complex processes for a variety of audiences.
4. Strong interpersonal skills, professionalism and diplomacy to build relationships with representatives of the development industry, provincial and inter-municipal organizations, internal staff, as well as provincial and municipal politicians.
5. Strong judgement skills to analyze complex technical information from a variety of sources.
6. Approachable attitude with the ability to mediate and problem solve.
7. Excellent customer service skills with a proficiency in interpersonal communication consulting with landowners, interest groups and citizens.
8. Must be able to manage multiple projects in a deadline oriented environment.
9. A strong understanding of provincial and municipal government operations and their interconnection.
Computer software and equipment use:
1. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
In confidence, qualified candidates are encouraged to electronically submit their resume, a covering letter, three work related references, and salary expectations to the following address by no later than 4 pm on September 23, 2019 to:
RE: Keystone Planning District – General Manager Competition
Dean Yaremchuk, Senior Partner
HMC Management Inc.
A General Manager Opportunity Profile is available upon request and only those candidates selected to be interviewed will be contacted.
A detailed job description is available upon request.
Application Deadline: September 23, 2019