The Town of The Pas is currently recruiting for the permanent full time position of Fire Chief. The Town of The Pas has a base population of approximately 6,000 (with an additional 3,000 residents located in the surrounding areas of RM of Kelsey, Clearwater Lake, Rocky Lake) and has (1) Fire Department and approximately 25 paid on call volunteer fire fighters.
The Fire Chief is responsible for accomplishing departmental objectives and goals with the guidelines established by Town Council and the Chief Administrative Officer. As part of the management team, the Fire Chief will be responsible to provide leadership, coordination and direction to the department which will include fire suppression and rescue, fire prevention/public education, staff training, emergency communication, by-law enforcement and public safety.
Preference will be given to those candidates that possess the following qualifications:
• Successful completion of:
o NFPA 1001: Standard for Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications – Level II
o NFPA 1021: Standard for Fire Officer Professional Qualifications – Level I
o NFPA 1521: Standard for Fire Department Safety Officer Professional Qualifications
o NFPA 1041: Fire Service Instructor
o NFPA 1033: Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Investigator
o NFPA 1031: Fire Inspector – Level I
o NFPA Fire Officer II or III is preferred
o ICS 200 – 300 preferred
• Demonstrated ability to function in dynamic, stressful, emergent situations while commanding fire department staff and operating vehicles, equipment and radio communication systems
• Proficient in the use of the Incident Command and Accountability Systems
• Excellent knowledge of and experience with fire ground strategies and tactics, apparatus and equipment maintenance, inspection procedures, incident planning and incident command protocols as well as relevant training activities
• Knowledge of The Fires Prevention and Emergency Response Act, National Fire Code and National Building Code as well as relevant Policy and Guidelines
• Supervisory skills and the ability to motivate, train, direct and assess the work of subordinates
• Ability to manage compliance, including accident investigation, injury claims and disability management
• Ability to make effective oral and written presentations; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, Town officials, community groups and the general public
• Excellent communication, judgment and decision-making skills
• Commitment to the goals and values of the Fire Rescue department
• Excellent computer skills (MS Office: Power point, Excel, Outlook; FDM recording and reporting; Records management)
• Valid MB Class 3 Driver’s license with Air Brake Endorsement
• Strong working knowledge of Workplace Safety and Health Regulations in the Province of Manitoba
• Satisfactory results from a Criminal Records Check, Vulnerable Persons & Child Abuse Registry Check.
Summary of responsibilities include:
• Responsible for the general conduct, good order, discipline, efficiency of the Town of The Pas Fire Department.
• Organize, direct and control the fire prevention, firefighting, fire training and rescue activities in the Town of The Pas and District, in accordance with the Town of The Pas Fire Department By-law.
• Conduct effective programs of fire prevention and inspection in accordance with provisions of the Manitoba Fires Prevention and Emergency Response Act.
• Investigate fires and report findings to Provincial and other authorities.
• Promote membership in the Volunteer Department and establish and supervise training programs.
• Prepare an annual Departmental operating and capital budget for Council’s approval and recommend firefighting equipment purchases.
• Prepare and submit, as required, departmental and statistical reports to the Chief Administrative Officer and Council.
• Salary will commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Town of The Pas also offers an excellent benefits package.
The position will remain open until a suitable applicant is found. Applications are to be directed to:
Keri-Lee Zaharia – Human Resource Officer
81 Edwards Avenue, P.O. Box 870
The Pas, MB, R9A 1K8
Fax: (204) 623-5506
Application Deadline: Open until filled