Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Economic Development Officer is responsible for planning, developing, coordinating and implementing economic development polices, strategies and initiatives that improve the community, socioeconomic and business development of The Pas. This position will play a lead role in activities and initiatives that will attract investment and business opportunities, foster partnerships that support long-range growth and identify new or emerging areas of economic evolution. Active at the community level, this key individual will be a highly visible, accomplished professional with a passion toward economic growth and sustainability. The successful incumbent will build connections at all levels and possess exceptional organizational skills to undertake a variety of strategic plans and operationalize enterprise growth. This position offers the opportunity to go beyond enhancing development, and encompasses a meaningful connection to the community and lasting investment for the future.
- Prepare and implement an Economic Development Strategic Action Plan, including a Business Attraction Program and awareness of regional, provincial and federal economic activities for retention and expansion;
- Act as an advisor on economic development to public officials, Council, the private sector and the public at large;
- Liaise with community-based groups, individuals and businesses to identifying potential synergies, enrich business venture development related to shared resources and promote operations at a regional level;
- Proactively secure funding for economic development activities and programs;
- Prepare progress reports and the Annual Budget for presentation and administration;
- Balance new economic development and the attraction of new business with the retention and expansion of existing businesses.
- Facilitate growth, provide consultative services and assistance to relocation plans and community support.
- Research and evaluate economic and business development opportunities to identify strategies and growth opportunities through comprehensive work plans that meet the needs of the community;
- Develop, direct and carry out marketing strategies to promote the Town of The Pas as a place to work, live and grow, including effective business communications aimed at and the public through formal advertising campaigns;
- Build and maintain strong partnerships with all levels of government and the community.
- Post-Secondary degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Commerce or related discipline;
- 3 years senior management experience in a municipal environment and with oversight of an economic development portfolio;
- Knowledge of the municipal decision-making process, grant writing, funding, proposals and overall political acumen;
- Exceptional administrative skills and ability to operationalize plans into actions;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to act as an advocate for The Pas;
- Understanding of Aboriginal economic development on a national and regional scale, and of the relationship of Canadian and Aboriginal history, law, and policies to this development;
- Demonstrated ability in critical evaluation, problem-solving, relationship management, strategic thinking and project management; Tech-savvy individual with a high level of proficiency with computer programs, software and electronic tools;
- Conscientious and organized professional with a motivated personality, entrepreneurial spirit and drive to connect.
Individuals interested in this outstanding career opportunity should forward their resume and cover letter in confidence to email@example.com quoting Project #20113