Economic Development Officer – This position is ideally suited to a highly visible accomplished professional, who will use their expertise to help define the character and trajectory of economic growth by focusing on promoting the community and developing sustainable jobs matched to local employment needs and opportunities and increase the municipal tax base.
The RM of Springfield is accepting applications for an Economic Development Officer. The Economic Development Officer (EDO) is a highly visible professional who reports to the Chief Administrative Officer and works closely with the Planning and Development Department under the framework of the Strategic and Development Plan and other plans approved by Council.
The EDO is the primary contact for economic development and as such is the catalyst for business development and economic diversification. The EDO is as an advocate for business and investment and does this by providing solutions to barriers and will act as a liaison between Municipal departments, the business community and government agencies and act as a facilitator to develop strategic partnerships and initiatives.
- Assist in the Development and implementation of the Municipality’s goals/objectives and policies/ procedures related to economic activities and programs including business retention and expansion initiatives and Community Improvement Plans;
• Develop and manage a strategic marketing plan for a long-range community economic development program;
• Advise the Council, Chief Administrative Officer and Directors and on issues related to the improvement and enhancement of the commercial tax base;
• Develop and implement plans to identify and market the Municipality and establish superior brand recognition in the marketplace;
• Participate in the development of budgetary plans and controls to facilitate economic development programs and initiatives.
• Act as primary contact for business and investor inquiries and act as liaison with the local business, community, industry and government agencies;
• Identify and recruit office, retailers, restaurants, and sales tax generating businesses for Municipal sites;
• Recruit, coordinate, and maintain contacts with commercial real estate brokers and developers; and coordinate with landowners to encourage retail and commercial sales tax generating development;
• Provide customer service and serve as a trouble shooter to citizens, brokers, landowners, prospects, retailers, developers, and organizations acting as an advocate for business;
• Assemble, develop, distribute and analyze demographic and economic information for internal and external use including available commercial sites, office and retail space, business database and population;
- A Business Degree in Commerce, Economics or related field and/or Urban Planning, Business Administration preferred;
• Certification as a Professional member of Economic Development Association of Manitoba (EDAM) with three (3) to Five (5) years of related experience with a demonstrated background in economic development.
• Minimum of four to five (4 to 5) years’ progressive experience in economic development, commercial real estate, tourism, marketing or a closely related field, focusing on the attraction of retail and sales tax generating businesses;
• Knowledge of land use planning, Federal and Provincial Planning Acts and Regulations, Codes and Municipal By-Laws.
• Ability to negotiate sensitive issues related to economic development, business retention, expansion and community improvement plans;
• Demonstrate an understanding of municipal government affairs, business support and funding programs.
• Knowledge of office procedures, methods, and computer equipment (word processing, spreadsheets, data base management, etc.);
• Knowledge of site selection criteria, general construction, commercial real estate sales and marketing procedures, pertinent federal, provincial and municipal laws, codes and regulations.
For more information regarding this position go to our website at www.rmofspringfield.ca
We invite qualified candidates to submit a cover letter and resume in confidence by 4:00 p.m., March 22, 2019 to: