Reporting to the City Manager, the Director of Public Works & Operations is responsible for managing the public works and utility operations of the City of Dauphin, including but not limited to transportation, solid waste and recycling, water, wastewater and stormwater operations, planning and building inspection services, and facility management. This role also includes supervision of all employees reporting from these departments.
The Ideal Candidate
The City of Dauphin is looking for a highly motivated and professional manager with the following education, skillsets, and qualities:
- Graduation from two-year college program in Civil Engineering Technology or similar.
- Registration as a Certified Engineering Technologist in Manitoba (a member in good standing with CTTAM).
- Minimum of five years’ professional experience in civil works; municipal work environment experience considered an asset; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 Manitoba driver’s license.
- Must provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
- Thorough knowledge of civil engineering principles, practices, and methods as applicable to a municipal setting.
- Familiarity with materials and methods as applied to construction of municipal structures and projects as well as a general understanding of physical sciences, mathematics, hydraulics, municipal engineering, and surveying.
- Project management experience.
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- A working knowledge of computer-aided-design drafting software, GIS software, surveying equipment, motor vehicle, phone, mobile radio.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally, and in writing, including the ability to conduct necessary engineering research and compile comprehensive reports.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with employees, external contacts, stakeholders, and the public in accordance with the City’s Respectful Workplace Policy.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable City’s policies, bylaws, and regulations affecting City activities within one year of hire.
Applicants are requested to include salary expectations in your cover letter. The City of Dauphin offers a comprehensive benefits package, which includes extended medical and dental coverage, out-of-country medical insurance, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, and participation in a very attractive defined-benefit pension plan, administered by the Manitoba Employee Benefits Program (MEBP).
Please apply IN CONFIDENCE to the City Manager, including your cover letter, resume, and three references, by Monday, February 1, 2021.