With the assistance of HMC Management Inc, the Keystone Planning District (KPD) is seeking the services of an experienced Building Inspector to provide at a minimum Class 9 Building Inspection Services for KPD.
Ideally, you have broad knowledge of building construction, materials, and related codes and legislation. There is a need to be able to read detailed building plans. This knowledge is normally acquired through completion of a building technology course or completion of a journeyman’s certificate in a related trade plus 5 years’ experience of municipal inspection work or a similar capacity.
The incumbent must be eligible for membership in the Manitoba Building Officials Association and provide proof of a valid Manitoba class 5 driver’s license.
Generally you are responsible for administering the Manitoba Building, Plumbing, Farm Building and Fire Code requirements, including processing building permit applications, completing related inspections, and providing information in response to public inquiries for the KPD partners.
KEYSTONE PLANNING DISTRICT
POSITION TITLE: Building Inspector
REPORTS TO: General Manager
1. Responsible for administering the Manitoba Building, Plumbing, Farm Building and Fire Code requirements, including processing building permit applications, completing related inspections, and providing information in response to public enquiries.
2. Works in partnership with the public, developers and construction industry to provide a wide range of services beyond regular plan review and building inspection services.
3. Responds to development and building related enquiries, and provides compliance advice at the building planning stage and ensures construction proceeds in accordance to approved plans.
4. Prepares and issues building permits (e.g. building, sign, plumbing, occupancy, and others as assigned);
5. Assists developers and builders with compliance related information, building inspection services and applicable code interpretation related to conformance.
6. Conducts plan reviews for a variety of building permit applications (e.g. building, plumbing, occupancy, and others as assigned);
7. Responsible for ongoing enforcement and inspections of residential developments to ensure substantial compliance with the Manitoba Building Code, provincial and federal regulations and municipal bylaws.
8. Inspects building as frequently as necessary during the course of construction, alteration and repair to determine conformity with approved plans, requirements of codes and related regulations and bylaws.
9. Receives completed application forms, plans, and other relevant information required or the issuing of a building permit, plumbing permits and occupancy permits.
10. Enforces the building, zoning, and assigned by-laws.
11. Prepares reports and/or code deficiency checklists and advises and assists architects, engineers, contractors and/or building owners, regarding infractions and ensures that such infractions are corrected prior to issuing and signing building and other related permits. Maintains records and prepares reports of inspections covering items such as the type and extent of deficiencies, actions taken, and recommendations made for further action; make follow-up inspections to determine that infractions have been rectified.
12. Approves building plans and signs permits as to ensure conformance with building code regulations; inspects buildings after completion of construction and approves occupancy or issues certificate of occupancy for buildings.
13. Conducts site inspections when assigned or requested and provides written reports on non-conforming conditions, code or bylaw violations and any other related matters.
14. Prepares a monthly and annual activity report to the Manager.
15. Liaises with the Manitoba Office of the Fire Commissioner, and Provincial and Municipal officials, as required.
16. Manages building permit files and correspondence to applicants, contractors and property owners, as required.
17. Investigates, prepares reports, and issues orders on non-conforming conditions, Code violations, and outstanding problems.
18. To attend building site, staff, KPD Board or any other meetings as required or assigned.
19. Functions as Assistant Development Officer, as directed.
20. Performs additional duties as necessary for the effective and efficient functioning of the Planning District.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Experience & Qualifications
The incumbent requires a broad knowledge of building construction, materials, and related codes and legislation. There is a need to be able to read detailed building plans. This knowledge is normally acquired through completion of a building technology course or completion of a journeyman’s certificate in a related trade plus 2 years’ experience of municipal inspection work or a similar capacity.
The incumbent must operate within the perimeters of the Development Plan, Zoning By-laws, Building Codes and other regulatory by-laws and decisions are limited to those inherent to the primary responsibilities and:
Under the general direction of the General Manager, the incumbent examines and has the authority to approve building plans and specifications submitted in compliance with statutory provisions, standards, procedures and by-laws. Inspects work in progress and completed work to ensure that it has been performed according to the plans and specifications. Actions could cause significant impact on the KPD’s public image.
Unique Position Requirements
1. Attend evening meetings as required.
2. The work requires exposure to occasional physical effort during inspections and will incur contact with the public and contractors that may lead to public abuse during enforcement of the Building Code or Development Plan or Zoning By-law.
3. The duties and responsibilities of this position will primarily take place during regular business hours with limited physical demands. The position requires working in-office and at construction sites within the Planning District.
4. The incumbent will be required to exchange ideas or resolve problems requiring tact and diplomacy when enforcing the Building Code or regulatory by-laws.
5. The Building Inspector is required to provide use of his/her own personal vehicle and KPD will pay mileage as per KPD policy.
Computer software and equipment use:
1. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
In confidence, qualified candidates are encouraged to electronically submit their resume, a covering letter, three work related references, and salary expectations to the following address by no later than 4 pm on September 23, 2019 to:
RE: Keystone Planning District – Building Inspector Competition
Dean Yaremchuk, Senior Partner
HMC Management Inc.
A Building Inspector Opportunity Profile is available upon request and only those candidates selected to be interviewed will be contacted.
Application Deadline: September 23, 2019