The Assistant Operations Manager will be responsible for the supervision of staff, the operation and maintenance of municipal buildings, recreation facilities, parks, pathways, trails, municipal roads and drains, the municipal weed control program, the Dutch Elm Disease Management program and for the delivery of animal/pest control services.
Expiry Date: Screening for this position may begin as early as February 4, 2019, however the position will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Supervise the work of direct reports/employees by;
Establishing work priorities and schedules,
• Directing and monitoring work performance,
• Reviewing and approving time sheets; including the approval of overtime work/emergency response,
• Providing training and supervision,
• Ensuring adherence to Workplace Safety & Health Standards and operational procedures and processes,
• Assist in the development of plans for facility maintenance, equipment purchase and general maintenance including;
• a detailed inventory of facilities, equipment and supplies, including condition reports,
• detailed records and files regarding maintenance activities and associated costs,
• developing and adhering to equipment and facility management standards (such as frequency of maintenance and facility life cycle standards for replacement),
• Ensure the provision of safe recreation and municipal facilities by adhering to appropriate building codes and other related standards,
• Respond to public inquiries and concerns,
• Oversee snow clearing of streets and roads in accordance with municipal policy,
• Oversee the animal control operations of the municipality,
• Oversee the duties of municipal noxious weeds inspector, the sub-inspector and the municipal weed control program,
• Administer the municipal Dutch Elm Disease management program,
• Initiate, under the direction of the Operations Manager, the mosquito and pest control program,
• Prepare Operations reports and recommendations for the Operations Manager as required,
• Inform the Operations Manager of recommended changes to by-laws and policies,
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Operations Manager.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Demonstrated ability to effectively supervise and manage employees,
• Ability to establish priorities, and action work objectives with a high level of independence and minimal supervision,
• Knowledge of facility management as it relates to municipal buildings and infrastructure,
• Knowledge of construction and maintenance techniques, equipment and heavy machinery operations,
• Knowledge in the safe use, operation and preventative maintenance of various equipment,
• Ability to coordinate, organize, and problem solve,
• Ability to communicate effectively; verbally and in writing,
• Ability to deal with the public in a respectful manner,
• Ability to establish and maintain effective professional working relationships,
• Personal initiative balanced by a realistic understanding of one’s authority; seeking out and or following advice/direction where appropriate.
Credentials and Experience:
• Post secondary education (Diploma, Certificate, Degree) in areas such as civil/construction management, business/agribusiness, Certified Engineering Technologist considered an asset, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience in facility maintenance management.
• Valid Province of Manitoba driver’s class five (5) license.
• Previous supervisory responsibilities.
• Understanding of heavy equipment, road construction, rink/ice maintenance, mowers/large scale grass cutting would be an asset.
• Willingness to secure knowledge of weed species, weed control applications, herbicides and pesticides within 1 year of hire.
• Willingness to secure AutoCAD and GIS knowledge within 1 – 2 years of hire.
• Previous municipal work experience would be an asset.
For more information, please contact;
Rhonda Tone, CPHR
HR Consultant, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rural Municipality of East St. Paul
The R.M of East St. Paul wishes to thank all candidates for their interest in this position, however, only those individuals considered for an interview will be contacted.
Submit resume and cover letter in confidence;
By mail or in person in a sealed envelope marked APPLICATION – ASSISTANT OPERATIONS MANAGER
Attention Rhonda Tone
R.M. of East St. Paul
Unit #1 – 3021 Bird’s Hill Road
East St. Paul, Mb. R2E-1A7
Application Deadline: Open until filled