Under the general supervision of the CAO, the Assistant Chief Administrative Officer (ACAO) is responsible for; supporting the CAO in the preparation/management of Council meetings, maintaining/updating RM by-laws and policies, overseeing new projects/initiatives, supporting the budget process, retaining a working knowledge of RM’s financial systems/processes, managing the performance of direct reports, providing general support to the CAO and assuming the duties of the CAO as required.
Expiry Date: Position will remain open until a suitable candidate is secured
Duties and Responsibilities:
Supports the CAO in the preparation and management of Council meetings by;
§ Attending all regular, special, and committee meetings of council,
§ Assisting with agenda item review and preparation,
§ Recording, and ensuring the distribution of resolutions and meeting minutes,
§ Researching, and making recommendations for the CAO for resolving outstanding issues/questions from Council and/or Council meetings,
§ Acting as CAO at Council meetings when the CAO is absent.
Maintains and updates RM by-laws, policies and other communication by;
§ Ensuring all required by-laws and resolutions are current, and readily available for Council, Administrative and or public review,
§ Preparing Administrative Reports as directed for items such as; funding requests, Council conference attendance, tax arrears/tax sales,
§ Drafting resolutions of Council and following up to ensure action on all authorized items,
§ Capturing, preparing for signature, affixing seal and filing minutes of Council and Committee meetings from information provided by CAO,
§ Maintaining a file of all books of by-laws adopted by Council,
§ Ensuring the creation of an efficient electronic database and hardcopy filing system for by-laws and policies,
§ Researching best practice and drafting municipal by-laws and policies,
§ Recommending updates to by-laws and policies as required,
§ Attaining and maintaining a full knowledge of all current RM by-laws and policies,
§ Drafting, in a clear, concise and thorough manner, new and revised by-laws, policies and associated Administrative Reports for CAO/Council approval.
Manages the performance of direct reports by;
§ Providing, or ensuring the provision of accurate job descriptions, adequate training, coaching and support, timely feedback and performance reviews,
§ Addressing performance issues in an appropriate and timely manner,
§ Recommending to the CAO required disciplinary action including termination,
§ Ensuring adherence to operational procedures and processes, and Workplace Safety & Health Standards.
Oversees implementation of new projects/initiatives as assigned by the CAO by;
§ Gathering available information, direction/resolutions, and or authorities,
§ Researching best practice,
§ Ensuring efficient record retention and (electronic) filing of documentation and decisions,
§ Writing reports, recommendations, Administrative Reports; ensuring appropriate authorizations occur,
§ Ensuring the assessment and or evaluation of project/initiative; providing the information to the CAO/Council as directed,
§ Acting as a management representative on the Workplace Safety & Health Committee.
§ Managing the RM’s Wheelchair Services of Manitoba Program.
Supports the budget process by;
§ Preparing and or presenting to Council (and/or Committee of Council) the annual budget, under the direction of the CAO
§ Creating, maintaining and overseeing systems and processes required to ensure accurate and timely response to Council request and the implementation of Council direction and approvals.
Retains a thorough working knowledge of RM’s financial systems and processes by being aware of;
§ Electronic accounting/general ledger system,
§ Financial records and capital projects,
§ Accounting records including tax rolls, assessment rolls, and subsidiary ledgers,
§ Assessment Rolls,
§ Outstanding debts,
§ Tax sale processes,
§ Processes required for accurate payroll information, consistent, timely payroll distribution to employees, the collection of utilities and the processing of payables; acting as back-up for principle staff as required.
Provides general support to the CAO by;
§ Preparing documents for federal and provincial grants not related to payroll,
§ Maintaining all official agreements with the municipality which includes the distribution, filing, noting expiry dates and appropriate follow up,
§ Overseeing the maintenance and ongoing development of the RM’s webpage,
§ Acting as the RM’s Access and Privacy Coordinator under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act,
§ Attending Board of Revision meetings, and taking minutes,
§ Drafting correspondence replies for the CAO’s review/signature,
§ Assisting the CAO in creating and implementing communication strategies,
§ Vetting articles and community information for the RM newsletter, and/or electronic media,
§ Acting as a Commissionaire of Oaths as required.
§ Responding to other requests for information and or support as required.
Assumes the duties of the CAO in his/her absence, exercising authority as required.
Other duties as assigned by the CAO.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Thorough knowledge of the Municipal Act.
• Strong financial skills as they pertain to rural municipal environments.
• Working knowledge of accounting and finance procedures including payroll and benefits administration.
• Ability to research and formulate concise accurate reports, policies, by-laws and other documents.
• Ability to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives with minimal supervision.
• Ability to effectively manage projects and new initiatives.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and exposure to, or ability to learn additional software packages.
• Strong interpersonal skills to effectively and respectfully manage concerns related to the public, employees and other stakeholders.
• Ability to coordinate, organize, problem solve, and work with a high level of independence.
Credentials and Experience:
• Certificate in Manitoba Municipal Administration (CMMA).
• Leadership-level experience in a rural municipal environment (5 years minimum),
• Certification in Public Sector management considered an asset.
• Experience in policy and by-law writing.
• Experience supervising others (5 years minimum).
• Valid Class 5 driver’s license.
• Satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
Public Contact Info:
Submit resume and cover letter in confidence;
• By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
• By mail or in person in a sealed envelope marked APPLICATION – ASSISTANT CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER, Attention Rhonda Tone, R.M. of East St. Paul, Unit #1 – 3021 Bird’s Hill Road, East St. Paul, Mb. R2E-1A7
For more information, please contact;
Rhonda Tone, CPHR
HR Specialist, email@example.com
Rural Municipality of East St. Paul
The R.M of East St. Paul wishes to thank all candidates for their interest in this position, however, only those individuals considered for an interview will be contacted.